You are here
About the Deschutes Basin Explorer
The Deschutes Basin Explorer is a digital library that provides users with integrated information, tools and expertise about natural resources in Oregon's Deschutes Basin. It was developed for use by land-use practitioners, resource managers, policymakers and local citizens.
Through the regular collection, maintenance, and presentation of basin and watershed-level data, documents, photos, and expertise, the Deschutes Basin Explorer presents:
- Restoration activities occurring throughout the basin
- Critical ecosystem restoration issues and actions
- Focus areas for conservation and research
- Oregon Explorer Map Viewer Access geospatial data, including 1851 vegetation and projected land use trends through 2050
- Oregon Watershed Restoration Tool Locate watershed restoration activities
- ScholarsArchive View and download historical documents, watershed reports, research
The Deschutes Basin Explorer resulted from collaboration among:
The Upper Deschutes Watershed Council, Deschutes River Conservancy, and The Trust for Public Land
OSU Libraries: OSU Libraries engages with the OSU community and the people of Oregon in their pursuit of knowledge. The OSUL partnership with the OUS Institute for Natural Resources supports delivery of information and services related to the protection and management of Oregon's vitally important natural resources through the Oregon Explorer natural resources digital library.
Oregon University System's Institute for Natural Resources: The Institute for Natural Resources (INR) provides Oregonians with ready access to current, relevant science-based information, methods, and tools for better understanding natural resource management challenges and developing solutions. INR co-manages the Oregon Explorer with OSUL.
Funding for Phase 1 development of the Lakes Basin Explorer was provided through a grant from the Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board and matched with OSU Library and INR funds.
Banner Photo: The view of Paulina Lake from Paulina Peak in the Newberry National Volcanic Monument: Courtesy of Gary Halvorson, Oregon State Archives